Thursday, October 6, 2011

This I Believe College Essay

I see hope every time I work. I am inspired every time I work. I learn something new every time I work. My job is both fulfilling and joyous and I consider myself lucky to have it. Where do I work? I am a Primary Care Attendant (PCA) to a 13 year old boy with an undiagnosed mental disorder in combination with low muscle tone. When I see what him and his family must struggle through every day it pains me, but at the same time inspires me. To see his parents keep fighting for him makes me think about how lucky myself and others really are. This job has taught me patience, people skills, and most importantly how to love someone even though they are different. I am able to see past the disabilities and focus on the genuine kindness and compassion in his heart. Over the last three years this job has, in a lot of ways, shaped me into the person I am now. I still remember the first time I met him and his family. I walked into his house and shook hands with a shy and quiet boy whom I had no idea I would develop a great relationship with. We sat down and, with help from his mother, he told me all about himself and what he's interested in. Things like eating and swimming topped the list. I didn't know it then but it would turn out he's like a fish in the water. All his brothers being out of the house, I took on the role of big brother. We swim, play games, and most importantly laugh together. Honestly, I second guessed myself and my abilities to be able to take care of someone with mental disabilities at first. I am, however, always trying to challenge myself so I took on the job. Three years later this job has blossomed into an amazing relationship. I teach him, but more often than not, he teaches me.

1 comment:

  1. great post Aydan. like a bawse. one. i also know what its like dealing with mentally challenged people, and it changes every aspect of the relationship. but you could have gone deeper with this and really explored your connection with your "little Brother".

    ReplyDelete